Turmeric Chicken and Rice
- ACTIVE: 35 MIN
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: 4
"This is a simple one-pot chicken-and-rice dish, but the turmeric adds color, spice and flavor," Edward Lee says. "That makes it a winner in my house." He recommends using a whole organic chicken so you know exactly where the bird came from and serving the dish family-style.
- One 4 1/2-pound chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped peeled fresh ginger
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cups jasmine rice
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Asian fish sauce
- 3 cups chicken stock
- Plain whole yogurt, sliced cucumbers, mint leaves and lime wedges, for serving
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. In a large enameled cast-iron casserole or Dutch oven, melt the butter and sprinkle with the turmeric. Add the chicken skin side down and cook over moderately high heat, turning once, until browned on both sides, 8 minutes total. Transfer the chicken to a plate.
- Add the onion, ginger and garlic to the casserole and cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, curry powder, cinnamon, cumin and rice and stir constantly until fragrant, about 1 minute. Return the chicken to the pot, skin side up. Add the bay leaves, fish sauce and chicken stock and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Cover and simmer over low heat for 10 minutes. Adjust the lid to cover partially and simmer until the rice is cooked, 10 to 15 minutes longer. Remove from the heat, uncover and let stand for 5 minutes. Serve with yogurt, cucumbers, mint and lime wedges.