- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried mint
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1/2 pounds trimmed boneless leg of lamb, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 small bunch of fresh mint
- 1 large red onion, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 large yellow bell pepper, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 large green bell pepper, cut into 2-inch pieces
- Vegetable oil, for the grill
- Garlicky Tahini
- Lemon wedges and pita bread, for serving
How to make this recipe
- In a large bowl, combine the garlic with 3 tablespoons of olive oil, the lemon juice, salt, pepper, dried mint and oregano. Add the lamb, toss to coat and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or for up to 3 hours.
- Thread the lamb onto skewers, placing 1 fresh mint leaf between the pieces of meat. Skewer alternate pieces of onion and bell pepper and brush lightly with olive oil.
- Light a grill. Lightly brush the grate with vegetable oil and grill the lamb and vegetables over a medium-hot fire, turning frequently, until the lamb is medium, about 6 minutes, and the vegetables are tender and lightly charred, about 8 minutes. Let the kebabs stand for 2 minutes, then serve with the Garlicky Tahini, lemon wedges and pita bread.
The berrylike fruit of a young, robust Zinfandel has an affinity with grilled lamb, especially when the dish includes pungent garlic and herbs.