- ACTIVE: 40 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 10 MIN
- SERVINGS: Makes 32 cigars
The Roden family had a ritual when they prepared these snacks for a party: The three children worked at the kitchen table with piles of phyllo pastry and bowls of filling, and everybody took turns telling stories.
Plus: More Appetizer Recipes and Tips
- 14 ounces feta cheese
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup finely chopped mixed herbs, such as mint, flat-leaf parsley and dill
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 16 sheets phyllo dough
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 350°. In a medium bowl, blend the feta with the eggs and the mixed herbs and season with salt and pepper.
- Have 2 large baking sheets ready. Work with 2 sheets of phyllo at a time, keeping the remaining sheets under a damp towel. Set 1 sheet of phyllo on a work surface and brush with some of the melted butter. Press a second sheet of phyllo on top. Cut the phyllo lengthwise into 4 even rectangles.
- Spread 1 tablespoon of the feta cheese and herb filling along the short end of one of the phyllo rectangles, leaving about 1/2 inch on each side. Roll up the phyllo, neatly tucking in the ends one-third of the way up to enclose the filling, then continue to roll up the phyllo with the sides open. Transfer the rolled-up cigar, seam side down, to a large baking sheet and brush with more of the melted butter. Repeat with the remaining phyllo dough and feta cheese and herb filling.
- Bake the cigars for about 30 minutes, or until they are golden brown and crisp; switch the baking sheets halfway through for even browning. Serve the cigars hot or at room temperature.