- 4 whole turkey wings or drumsticks
- Reserved neck, wing tips and giblets from the turkey
- 1 large onion, thickly sliced
- 1 large carrot, thickly sliced
- 1 large celery rib, thickly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
How to make this recipe
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Put the whole turkey wings and the reserved wing tips in a flameproof roasting pan and roast for about 1 hour, turning occasionally, or until well browned. Transfer the turkey parts to a large pot.
- Set the roasting pan over 2 burners. Add 1 cup of water and boil over moderately high heat, scraping up the browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Add the liquid to the pot.
- Add the turkey neck, wing tips, gizzard and heart to the pot along with the onion, carrot, celery, garlic, salt, generous pinches of pepper and 8 cups of water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to moderately low and simmer, partially covered, until the meat is falling off the bones and the gizzard is very tender, about 2 hours. Add the reserved liver and poach it in the stock until browned outside but still pink in the center, about 6 minutes.
- Strain the stock. Reserve the liver, heart and gizzard for the gravy.
The stock and giblets can be refrigerated separately for up to 2 days. Skim the fat from the stock before using.