- ACTIVE: 20 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 4 HR 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: makes about 3 quarts
- 7 pounds turkey parts, such as wings, thighs and drumsticks
- 4 quarts water
- 1 large onion, thickly sliced
- 1 large carrot, thickly sliced
- 1 large celery rib, thickly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°. In a large roasting pan, roast the turkey parts for 1 1/2 hours, or until well browned; transfer to a large stockpot.
- Set the roasting pan over 2 burners. Add 1 quart of the water and bring to a boil, scraping up the browned bits from the bottom. Add the liquid to the pot.
- Add the onion, carrot, celery, garlic, salt and pepper to the pot along with the remaining 3 quarts of water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to moderately low, cover partially and simmer the stock for 2 1/2 hours. Strain the stock and skim the fat before using or freezing.
Make AheadThe stock can be refrigerated for 3 days or frozen for 1 month.