Turkey Sausage with Cheddar-Cheese Grits and Tomato Sauce
- ACTIVE: 5 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Creamy, cheesy grits capture the juices from the fresh tomatoes, making a perfect foil for the sausage links. Chicken sausage also works well in this homey combination.
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup old-fashioned grits
- 1/4 pound cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 pound turkey sausages
- 1 1/2 pounds tomatoes, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- In a medium saucepan, bring the water and 3/4 teaspoon salt to a boil. Add the grits in a slow stream, whisking. Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer, stirring frequently with a wooden spoon, until the grits are very thick, about 20 minutes. Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the cheese.
- Meanwhile, in a medium, nonstick frying pan, heat the oil over moderately low heat. Add the sausages and cook until they are just done, about 15 minutes. Remove the sausages from the pan. Add the tomatoes, the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and the pepper to the pan. Cook until the tomatoes are just heated through, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the parsley.
- Serve the grits topped with the sausages and the tomato sauce.
A simple, refreshing white wine is a nice contrast to the rich cheddar flavor of the grits. Try a Pinot Bianco from the Veneto region of Italy or a Pinot Blanc from Alsace in France.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.