Turkey Sandwiches with Cranberry-Apricot Relish
- SERVINGS: 2 SERVINGS PLUS LEFTOVER RELISH
- 6 ounces fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/4 cup canned apricot nectar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon dry port
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons dried currants
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced dried apricots
- 4 slices white bread, toasted
- 6 ounces sliced roasted turkey
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 8 scallions, green part only
- 4 romaine lettuce leaves
- MAKE THE SANDWICHES In a medium nonreactive saucepan, combine the cranberries, apricot nectar and sugar and bring to a boil over moderately high heat. Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly reduced, about 20 minutes.
- In a small nonreactive saucepan, combine the honey, port, vanilla and 2 tablespoons of water and bring to a boil over high heat. Remove from the heat and stir in the currants and apricots. Let steep for 15 minutes.
- Drain the cranberries, reserving 1/4 cup of the cooking liquid. Stir the dried fruit mixture into the cranberries, add the reserved cooking liquid and let cool.
- Spread 2 slices of the bread with about 1 1/2 tablespoons each of the relish. Layer the turkey on the relish and season with salt and pepper. Top with the scallions, romaine lettuce and the remaining bread.
A very fruity, berry-like wine with direct flavors is best for the turkey sandwiches. Try a Beaujolais or a light Pinot Noir, served slightly cool to underscore their fruitiness.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.