- 1/2 head green cabbage, cored and finely shredded
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 3 tablespoons chopped cornichons
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Asian chili-garlic paste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 8 slices of seedless rye bread
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced imported Swiss cheese
- 3/4 pound thinly sliced smoked turkey breast
How to make this recipe
In a large bowl, toss the shredded cabbage with 1 teaspoon of the salt and let stand for 15 minutes. Drain the cabbage and return it to the bowl.
In a blender, combine the mayonnaise, ketchup, cornichons, shallot, Worcestershire sauce, chili-garlic paste and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt and puree. Season the dressing with pepper and pour it over the drained cabbage; toss well.
Preheat a griddle over moderately high heat. Butter the bread slices and place 4 of them on the hot griddle, buttered side down. Top each one with a slice of cheese, then top 2 of the slices with half of the sliced turkey. Grill until the cheese is melted and the bread is toasted, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the griddle. Spoon a generous scoop of the spicy slaw on top of the turkey and close the sandwiches. Repeat to make the remaining 2 sandwiches. Cut the sandwiches in half and serve.