- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ancho chile powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3 cups beef stock or low-sodium broth
- One 15-ounce can hominy, drained and rinsed
- Shredded cheddar, chopped cilantro, sour cream and tortilla chips, for serving
How to make this recipe
- In a medium saucepan, heat the olive oil until shimmering. Add the onion and garlic and cook over high heat, stirring, until barely softened, about 3 minutes. Add the turkey, ancho powder, cumin and chipotle powder and season with salt. Cook, breaking up the turkey with a wooden spoon, until the liquid has evaporated and the turkey is lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in the flour and then the tomato paste. Add the stock and hominy and simmer over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until thickened slightly, about 15 minutes. Ladle the soup into bowls and serve with cheddar, cilantro, sour cream and tortilla chips.
Pair with a cassis-flavored, smoky Merlot like Havens Napa Valley.