Turkey and Tomatillo Chimichangas
- SERVINGS: 4
The turkey filling for these pan-fried burritos, or chimichangas, is a healthy alternative to more traditional fillings like refried beans and shredded pork or beef.
- 2 medium Hass avocados
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/2 pound fresh tomatillos—husked, rinsed and chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped white onion
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 jalapeños, seeded and minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound ground turkey
- Four 8-inch flour tortillas
- 1/4 pound sliced smoked provolone cheese, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- Vegetable oil
- Salsa, for serving
- In a medium bowl, mash the avocados with the sour cream and lime juice and season with salt.
- In a blender, puree the tomatillos with the onion, garlic, cilantro, jalapeños and cumin and season with salt.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Add the turkey and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until no longer pink, about 4 minutes. Add the tomatillo sauce and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until thickened, 5 minutes.
- Wrap the tortillas in a kitchen towel and heat in a microwave oven, about 30 seconds. Lay the tortillas on a work surface. Spoon the filling just below the center of each tortilla, top with a few strips of cheese and roll up as tightly as possible; secure with toothpicks. Brush the tortillas with vegetable oil.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil. Add the chimichangas and cook over moderate heat, turning, until golden all over, about 7 minutes. Transfer to plates, top with the mashed avocados and salsa and serve.