- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 3 cups whole milk
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- One 12-ounce loaf rustic white bread, cut into 1/2-inch dice (7 cups)
- 4 ounces thinly sliced smoked turkey, cut into 1/4-inch ribbons
- 6 ounces thinly sliced Swiss cheese, cut into 1/2-inch ribbons
How to make this recipe
- Preheat the oven to 375°. Set a rack in the top third of the oven. Lightly grease a 8-by-11 1/2-inch baking dish. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the onion and cook over moderately high heat until browned, about 8 minutes
- In a large bowl, whisk the milk with the eggs, mustard, salt, thyme and pepper. Fold in the bread, onion, turkey and two-thirds of the Swiss cheese. and the turkey. Let stand until most of the liquid has been absorbed, about 10 minutes.
- Scrape the bread mixture into the prepared baking dish and sprinkle with the remaining Swiss cheese. Bake the bread pudding until golden and bubbling, about 45 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
The bread pudding can be baked up to one day in advance. Gently rewarm before serving.