- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 2 carrots, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1/3 cup sliced black olives
- 1/4 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped tarragon
- 1 tablespoon chopped thyme
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups leftover turkey, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 1/4 cups turkey or chicken stock or low-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup milk
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper
- Steamed white rice, for serving
How to make this recipe
In a large, deep skillet, melt the butter over moderately high heat. Add the onion, celery, carrots, bell peppers and peas and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is translucent, about 2 minutes. Stir in the olives, parsley, tarragon, thyme and flour and cook, stirring constantly, until the flour is fully incorporated and slightly browned, about 2 minutes.
Add the turkey to the skillet and cook for 1 minute. Gradually add the stock, stirring well and scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Simmer over low heat until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes. Pour in the milk and return to a simmer. Cook until thickened, about 5 minutes. Season the stew with salt and white pepper and serve with rice.
The stew can be refrigerated overnight. Reheat gently before serving.