- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup drained mild Peppadew peppers, plus 1/4 cup brine from the jar
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup pomegranate molasses
- 1/4 cup unsalted roasted peanuts
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- Kosher salt
- 6 skinless, boneless chicken thighs (1 1/2 pounds), cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- Eight 8-inch skewers, soaked in water for 30 minutes if wooden
How to make this recipe
In a large nonstick skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the onion and cook over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until lightly caramelized, about 10 minutes. Transfer the onion to a blender. Add the bell pepper, Peppadews and brine, raisins, pomegranate molasses, peanuts and cayenne to the blender and puree until smooth. Season the marinade with salt and pepper.
In a medium bowl, rub the marinade into the chicken. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours or overnight.
Light a grill. Thread the chicken onto the skewers and season with salt and pepper. Grill over moderately high heat, turning, until lightly charred and cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes. Serve hot.
The marinade can be refrigerated overnight.
Pair this chicken dish with a vibrant, full-bodied white.