Tuna Tacos with Onions
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
To accompany his fresh tuna tacos, chef Aarón Sanchez of New York City's Paladar makes a quick, vinegary, supercrunchy red-onion pickle. It's lovely with the warm, soft tortillas. To bump up the flavors of the tacos even more, he also adds a dash of hot sauce and a healthy squirt of fresh lime juice.
Plus: More Seafood Recipes and Tips
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium red onions, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon chipotle powder or hot paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 ripe mangopeeled, pitted and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 medium cucumberpeeled, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 serrano or jalapeño chile, seeded and very finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- One 1-pound tuna steak (1 inch thick)
- Eight 6-inch corn tortillas
- Light a grill or preheat a grill pan. In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Add the onions, season with salt and cook over moderately high heat until softened and browned, about 8 minutes. Add the chipotle powder and cook for 30 seconds. Add the oregano and the vinegar and cook for 1 minute. Transfer to a plate.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine the mango, cucumber, serrano, lime juice and cilantro and season the salsa with salt.
- Oil the grill. Rub the tuna with the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil and season with salt. Grill over high heat until lightly charred and pink within, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate. Grill the tortillas until hot and soft, about 10 seconds. Stack the tortillas and wrap them in foil to keep warm.
- Thinly slice the tuna and transfer to a platter. Serve with the onions, salsa and tortillas. Let everyone make their own tacos.