- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon drained capers
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for rubbing
- Four 5-ounce tuna steaks, about 1/2 inch thick
- 1 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1/2 fennel bulb, cored and very thinly sliced
- Hot sauce
How to make this recipe
In a bowl, mix the shallot, vinegar, maple syrup, capers and a pinch of salt and pepper; let stand for 15 minutes. Whisk in the oil.
Meanwhile, place the tuna between sheets of plastic wrap and pound until the steaks are 1/4 inch thick. Rub with oil and season with salt and pepper.
Preheat a griddle. Add the tuna and cook on one side only until lightly seared, 1 minute. Transfer to plates, browned side up.
Add the parsley, pomegranate seeds and fennel to the dressing and season with hot sauce. Toss gently, mound the salad over the tuna and serve right away.