© Johnny Miller
Tuna Salad with Chickpea Puree
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: 4
This chunky tuna salad—inspired by a traditional sauce from Livorno, Italy, of tomatoes, olives and capers—makes a very satisfying one-dish meal.
Slideshow: Terrific Tuna Salads
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 3 small garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- One 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 pound cherry tomatoes, quartered (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1/4 cup pitted olives, chopped
- 1 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- One 12-ounce can water-packed solid white albacore tuna, salmon or sardines, drained
- In a small skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil. Add the capers and cook, stirring, until crispy, about 2 minutes. Transfer the capers to a paper towel-lined plate.
- In the same skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant. Stir in the chickpeas and 1/2 cup of water and simmer over high heat until almost all of the liquid is absorbed, 7 to 8 minutes. Transfer the chickpea mixture to a food processor. Add the cheese, 3 tablespoons of the oil and 1 teaspoon of the lemon juice and puree until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, combine the tomatoes, chopped olives, parsley and crushed red pepper with the remaining 3 tablespoons of oil and 2 tablespoons of lemon juice; season with salt and pepper. Spoon the chickpea puree onto plates and top with the tuna and the tomato salad. Garnish with the crispy capers and serve.