Tuna, Chickpea, Fennel, and Orange Salad
- SERVINGS: 4
Canned tuna has never been better than in this saladwhere it's combined with a delightful array of flavors, from mild chickpeas to sweet oranges to fiery jalapeño. We like to cut the orange sections away from the membranes but if you're in a hurry, just slice the oranges.
Amazing Seafood Recipes
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 6-ounce cans tuna packed in oil, drained
- 2 cups drained and rinsed chickpeas (one 19-ounce can)
- 2 navel oranges
- 1/2 head romaine lettuce, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 3 cups)
- 1 large fennel bulb, cut into quarters and then into thin slices
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeds and ribs removed, minced
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro (optional)
- In a large glass or stainless-steel bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, mustard, salt, and pepper. Add the oil slowly, whisking.
- In a medium glass or stainless-steel bowl, combine the tuna and chickpeas. Gently stir in 1/4 cup of the dressing.
- Using a stainless-steel knife, peel the oranges down to the flesh, removing all of the white pith. Cut the sections away from the membranes and set aside. Squeeze 2 tablespoons of the juice from the membranes into the remaining dressing.
- Add the tuna and chickpeas, orange sections, lettuce, fennel, onion, jalapeño, and cilantro to the dressing and toss gently.
Instead of the more traditional riesling, accompany this tuna with a Pfalz spätlese made from scheurebe. The wine's wild, even exotic scents of grapefruit, orange peel, minerals, and flint will be a pleasant and harmonious surprise.