- 1 pound sushi-grade tuna, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large Hass avocado, cut into 1/3-inch dice
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped cilantro, plus leaves for garnish
How to make this recipe
- Line a baking sheet with plastic wrap. Arrange the tuna slices in a single layer on the baking sheet and freeze until fairly firm, about 15 minutes.
- Stack the slices of tuna. Using a very sharp chef’s knife, cut the tuna into neat 1/4-inch cubes. Transfer the cubed tuna to a medium glass or ceramic bowl and stir in the red onion, lime juice and black pepper. Cover the tuna with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour, stirring gently with a plastic spatula every 15 to 20 minutes (the diced tuna will change color slightly).
- Just before serving, gently fold in the diced avocado and chopped cilantro. Season the ceviche with salt. Transfer the ceviche to a serving bowl or individual glasses. Garnish with cilantro leaves.
Bright Spanish white.