- 1 small garlic clove
- 1/2 cup packed flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup packed basil leaves
- 1 1/2 tablespoons oregano leaves
- 1/4 cup capers, drained
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Three 7-ounce jars high-quality Italian tuna packed in olive oil, drained
- Two 15-ounce cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 Belgian endives, thinly sliced crosswise
- In a food processor, combine the garlic with the parsley, basil and oregano and pulse until the herbs are coarsely chopped. Add the capers and pine nuts and pulse until they are coarsely chopped. Add the olive oil and lemon juice and pulse until the pesto comes together but is still chunky. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, break up the tuna into bite-size chunks. Add the cannellini beans, sliced endives and caper pesto and toss gently until the salad is evenly coated. Season the tuna salad with salt and pepper and serve.
Italy's coastal vineyard regions produce a variety of zesty whites with herbal and citrus notes; these wines would be great partners for this Mediterranean salad. Look for a Vermentino from Sardinia or Tuscany's Maremma region.