© Richard Warren
Tropical Spinach Salad with Warm Fruit Vinaigrette
- SERVINGS: 6
Tropical spinach is a vast family of greens that includes true spinach relatives as well as entirely different species.
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup dried blueberries
- Boiling water
- 1/4 cup walnut or olive oil
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 garlic clove, smashed
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 8 cups tropical spinach leaves (3 ounces), washed and spun dry
- In a small saucepan, cover the dried cranberries and blueberries with boiling water and let stand until softened, about 5 minutes. Drain well.
- Heat the oil in the same saucepan. Add the curry and garlic and cook over low heat for 1 minute; discard the garlic. Add the honey, salt and cayenne, then whisk in the orange juice. Stir in the dried fruits and bring to a simmer. In a large bowl, toss the spinach with the hot dressing and serve at once.