Tropical Fruit Sundaes
- ACTIVE: 45 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 2 HRS 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 12
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup finely grated peeled fresh ginger (3 ounces)
- 6 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 1/2 teaspoons powdered gelatin (from 2 envelopes)
- 9 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 1 cup dried unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 pineapple—peeled, cored and finely diced (4 cups)
- 2 large mangoes—peeled, pitted and finely diced (4 cups)
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lime zest
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 pints raspberries
- 2 pints vanilla ice cream
- In a large saucepan, combine the cream and milk with the ginger and bring to a simmer. Remove from the heat, cover and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Strain the cream into a bowl, pressing on the ginger. Wipe out the saucepan. Return the cream to the saucepan and bring to a simmer. Remove from the heat and whisk in the sugar and gelatin. Let the cream cool to lukewarm, then whisk in the mascarpone. Spoon the mousse into 12 glasses or bowls and refrigerate until set, 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350°. Spread the coconut flakes in a pie plate and toast until golden, 3 minutes. Let cool.
- In a bowl, toss the pineapple and mangoes with the brown sugar, lime zest and juice. Spoon the pineapple and mangoes over the ginger mousse and top with the raspberries. Scoop the ice cream into the bowls, garnish with the toasted coconut and serve.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.