Triple-Onion Sour Cream Dip
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: Makes about 2 1/2 cups
Onion dip is an American classic. Instead of the typical box of onion-soup mix, this fresh version features crispy fried shallots, scallions and onion all folded into sour cream.
- 3 cups canola oil, for frying
- 3 shallots, very thinly sliced (1 cup)
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced (1 cup)
- 1 onion, very thinly sliced (1 1/2 cups)
- 2 cups full-fat or light sour cream, or whole-milk plain Greek yogurt
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Set a strainer over a heatproof bowl. In a large saucepan, heat the oil with the shallots, scallions and onion and fry over moderately high heat, stirring frequently, until the onions are browned, 18 to 20 minutes. Carefully pour the onions into the strainer and shake off the excess oil. Spread the onions on a paper towel–lined plate to drain. Let cool for 5 minutes. Reserve the oil for another use.
- In another bowl, fold the onions into the sour cream; season with salt and pepper.
Crisp, refreshing Prosecco from Italy's Veneto region: NV Valdo Extra Dry.