- 3 cups canola oil, for frying
- 3 shallots, very thinly sliced (1 cup)
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced (1 cup)
- 1 onion, very thinly sliced (1 1/2 cups)
- 2 cups full-fat or light sour cream, or whole-milk plain Greek yogurt
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
How to make this recipe
- Set a strainer over a heatproof bowl. In a large saucepan, heat the oil with the shallots, scallions and onion and fry over moderately high heat, stirring frequently, until the onions are browned, 18 to 20 minutes. Carefully pour the onions into the strainer and shake off the excess oil. Spread the onions on a paper towel–lined plate to drain. Let cool for 5 minutes. Reserve the oil for another use.
- In another bowl, fold the onions into the sour cream; season with salt and pepper.
The dip is best eaten within 1 hour, but it can be refrigerated overnight.
Thick-cut potato chips, pita chips, bagel chips or celery sticks.
Crisp, refreshing Prosecco from Italy's Veneto region: NV Valdo Extra Dry.