- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature plus more for greasing
- 1/2 cup shredded dried unsweetened coconut, plus more for sprinkling
- 1 1/2 cups Silvana’s Kitchen Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour
- 2 tablespoons black sesame seeds, plus more for sprinkling
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup virgin coconut oil, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 large egg yolks, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon pure coconut extract
- Preheat the oven to 350° and butter an 8-by-4-inch loaf pan.
- In a small bowl, cover the shredded coconut with hot water. Let soak for 30 minutes, then drain the coconut through a fine sieve, pressing to remove excess water.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk the flour with the sesame seeds, baking powder, cardamom, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl, combine the 4 tablespoons of butter with the coconut oil and sugar and, using a handheld electric mixer, beat at high speed until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in the egg yolks, one at a time, until combined. At low speed, beat in half the flour mixture, then all the sour cream, following with the remaining flour mixture. Beat in the vanilla and coconut extracts. Fold in the drained coconut.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared loaf pan and spread evenly with an offset spatula. Sprinkle the top with shredded coconut and sesame seeds. Bake for about 1 hour, tenting with aluminum foil if the top gets too dark, until the quick bread is golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool completely in the pan on a rack. Invert the quick bread and serve.
The quick bread can be wrapped in plastic and stored at room temperature overnight.