- 2 cups chicken stock or canned low-sodium broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 pound English peas, shelled and pods reserved
- 6 small scallions, whites thinly sliced and greens coarsely chopped
- One 1/4-inch-thick slice fresh ginger
- 1/4 pound sugar snap peas, cut on the diagonal into 1-inch pieces (1 cup)
- 1/4 pound snow peas, cut into matchsticks (1 cup)
- 2 ounces soft tofu, cut into 1/4-inch dice (1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
- Freshly ground pepper
How to make this recipe
In a large saucepan, combine the chicken stock with the water, pea pods, scallion greens and ginger. Cover and simmer over low heat until the stock is flavorful, about 10 minutes, then strain, pressing on the solids to extract as much liquid as possible; discard the solids.
Return the stock to the saucepan, season with salt and bring to a simmer. Add the English peas and cook over moderately high heat until tender, about 7 minutes. Add the sugar snaps and snow peas and cook until crisp-tender and bright green, about 1 minute. Add the tofu and cook just until heated through, about 30 seconds. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the sliced scallions, cilantro and vinegar. Season with salt and pepper. Ladle the soup into bowls and serve.
Match the attractive "green" flavors of this soup with an herbal California Sauvignon Blanc.