Tres Leches Cake with Strawberries
- ACTIVE: 35 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 5 HRS 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 12
Many versions of this dessert, made by soaking sponge cake in condensed milk, evaporated milk and cream, are too sweet and wet. This one from chef Soledad Correa of Casa Silva is perfect, with just a hint of cinnamon.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup whole milk, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- One 12-ounce can evaporated milk
- 1 medium cinnamon stick
- 2 whole cloves
- One 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pint strawberries, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Sweetened whipped cream and thinly sliced mint leaves, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350. Lightly butter a 9-by-13-inch glass or ceramic baking dish. In a medium bowl, whisk the flour with the baking powder and salt. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle, beat the eggs with the sugar and 1 teaspoon of the vanilla at medium-high speed until very light and fluffy, about 10 minutes. Add half of the flour mixture and mix at low speed until just incorporated. Gradually add the whole milk, then mix in the remaining flour mixture.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish and bake for 25 minutes, or until the center of the cake springs back to the touch. Transfer the baking dish to a rack and let the cake cool for at least 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, whisk the cream with the evaporated milk, cinnamon stick and cloves and bring to a boil over moderately high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer for 3 minutes. Remove from the heat, cover and let steep for 10 minutes.
- In a heatproof bowl, combine the condensed milk with the remaining 1 teaspoon of vanilla and the ground cinnamon. Strain the steeped cream mixture into the condensed milk and stir to combine. Let cool for 20 minutes.
- Using a fork, poke holes all over the cooled cake. Gradually pour the milk mixture over the entire cake. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- In a bowl, gently toss the strawberries with the sugar. Let stand at room temperature for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally to dissolve the sugar.
- Cut the cake and serve with the strawberries, whipped cream and mint.