- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup sugar
- One 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- One 12-ounce can whole evaporated milk
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup light rum
- Dulce de Leche
- Preheat the oven to 325°. Butter a 9-inch square baking pan. In a medium bowl, whisk the flour with the baking powder. In a large bowl, using a handheld electric mixer, beat the egg whites at medium-high speed until stiff peaks form. In another large bowl, beat the egg yolks with the sugar at medium speed until pale and thick, about 3 minutes. Beat the egg whites and the dry ingredients into the egg yolk mixture until smooth.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake in the center of the oven for 30 minutes, until golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the cake cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then invert onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a 13-by-9-inch baking dish, whisk the condensed milk with the evaporated milk, heavy cream and rum. Cut the cake into 3-inch squares and add them to the baking dish, turning gently once or twice. Tilt the dish and spoon the liquid over the squares until well-soaked, about 5 minutes. Pour off all but a thin layer of the liquid and reserve for another use. Cover and refrigerate the cakes overnight.
- Carefully transfer the squares to plates. Drizzle with the Dulce de Leche and serve.
The tres leches cake can be prepared up to 1 day ahead.