- 2 cups packed basil leaves
- 3 tablespoons Italian pine nuts
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, plus more for serving
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 pound baby red potatoes
- 3/4 pound haricots verts
- 1 pound trenette pasta or linguine fini
- In a food processor, pulse the basil leaves with the pine nuts and garlic until a paste forms. Add the olive oil and puree until smooth. Transfer the pesto to a small bowl. Stir in the 1/4 cup of Parmigiano-Reggiano and season with salt and pepper.
- In a medium saucepan, cover the potatoes with water and bring to a simmer. Cook over moderate heat for about 15 minutes, until tender. Drain and let cool slightly. Cut the potatoes in half.
- In a large pot of salted boiling water, cook the haricots verts until al dente. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the beans to a colander and rinse under cold water. Add the pasta to the pot and cook over high heat until al dente. Drain the pasta and transfer it to a large bowl. Add the cooked potatoes, beans and the pesto and toss well to coat. Season with salt and pepper and serve, passing additional Parmigiano-Reggiano at the table.
Brisk, slightly nutty Soave.
Contributed By Mario Batali Photo © David Malosh Published