- 8 ounces water
- 1/4 cup caraway seeds
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 20 ounces overproof rye whiskey
- 15 ounces fresh lemon juice
- 10 ounces French rouge vermouth, preferably Dolin
- 10 ounces chilled unfiltered apple juice
- 5 ounces cold water
- 20 dashes of Angostura bitters
- 2 chilled 12-ounces bottles of pilsner, preferably Miller High Life, plus 2 more clean bottles for garnish
- A large pinch of freshly grated nutmeg and 3 lemon wheels, for garnish (optional)
How to make this recipe
Make the caraway syrup
In a small saucepan, combine the water and caraway seeds and bring to a boil. Simmer over low heat for 5 minutes. Stir in the sugar until dissolved. Strain the syrup into a jar and let cool, then refrigerate until ready to use.
Make the punch
In a punch bowl, combine 8 ounces of the caraway syrup with the whiskey, lemon juice, vermouth, apple juice, water and bitters; stir well. Refrigerate until chilled, about 2 hours. Add the ice, stir in the 2 bottles of beer and garnish with the nutmeg and lemon wheels. Place the remaining 2 bottles of beer in the punch bowl. Ladle the punch into ice-filled plastic cups or collins glasses.