Tostones with Smoked Salmon
- ACTIVE: 25 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR
- SERVINGS: 4 HORS D'OEUVRE SERVINGS
Tostones—fried, smashed plantain slices—are a great variation on the toast used for the familiar hors d'oeuvre of smoked salmon and herbed cream. Soaking the plantain slices may seem like an unnecessary step, but it helps remove some of their starchiness and keeps them white.
- 2 large green plantains (about 10 ounces each)
- 6 cups water
- Kosher salt
- 2 cups vegetable oil, for frying
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped dill, plus dill sprigs for garnish
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 6 ounces thinly sliced smoked salmon, cut into 12 even pieces
- Paper-thin lime slices, quartered, for garnish
- Cut off both ends of the plantains and score them lengthwise, then peel off the skin. In a large bowl, combine the water with 1 teaspoon of salt. Add the plantains and let soak for 30 minutes. Drain and pat dry with paper towels. Cut each plantain on the diagonal into 6 slices about 1 1/2 inches thick.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil to 275°. Add the plantain slices and fry, stirring, for 2 minutes. Transfer the plantain slices to paper towels and let cool slightly. Reserve the oil in the skillet.
- Wrap each plantain slice in a dampened paper towel and use a meat pounder to gently pound it into a 1/4-inch-thick oval.
- In a small bowl, using a spoon, stir to combine the sour cream with the chopped dill and lime juice.
- Reheat the oil to 375°. Add the flattened plantain slices and fry, turning once, until golden and crisp, about 2 minutes. Drain the tostones on paper towels, then sprinkle with salt.
- Dollop 1 1/2 teaspoons of the herbed sour cream on each tostone. Top with a slice of smoked salmon, garnish with a dill sprig and lime slice and serve.
The crisp acidity and fresh citrus fruit of an American sparkling wine make it a natural foil for the rich smoked salmon and herbed cream.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.