- 1 cup broken tortilla chips (about 2 inches)
- 10 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup Fontina cheese, cut into 1/2-inch dice (2 1/2 ounces)
- Fourth-of-July Firecracker Salsa or Grilled Tomatillo and Purple Basil Salsa
How to make this recipe
Preheat the oven to 400°. Spread the tortilla chips on a baking sheet and toast in the oven for 4 minutes, or until nicely browned. Let cool.
In a large bowl, lightly beat the eggs. Add the cream to the bowl. Season with salt and pepper and beat again.
Melt the butter in a medium nonstick skillet. When the foam subsides, add the eggs and cook over moderately low heat, using a spatula to lift the cooked edges and tilting the skillet so the uncooked eggs seep underneath. When the eggs are almost set, add the tortilla chips and stir a few times. Add the cheese and stir once or twice, then remove the skillet from the heat. Serve the eggs at once, with the salsa on the side.