- SERVINGS: 4
For this salad, you can use either corn or flour tortillas, depending on what you have on hand.
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 small fresh red chile pepper, seeded and minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, plus more for frying
- Six 8-inch corn or flour tortillas, quartered
- 6 cups baby salad greens
- 1 ripe mango, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 cup cooked black beans, rinsed
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 pound cooked shrimp or smoked chicken breasts, cut into thin strips
- 1/4 cup mild goat cheese, such as Montrachet
- In a small bowl, combine the lime juice, chile, salt and the 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil.
- In a large skillet, heat 1/8 inch of vegetable oil over moderately high heat, until almost smoking. Add as many tortilla quarters as will fit without overlapping and fry until crisp and golden, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer the chips to paper towels to drain and repeat with the remaining tortillas.
- In a large bowl, toss the greens with 1 1/2 tablespoons of dressing. Mound the greens on a large platter. Add the mango, black beans, onion and 3 tablespoons of dressing to the bowl and toss, then arrange over the greens. Distribute the shrimp on top, then crumble the cheese over the salad. Arrange the tortilla chips around the platter to use as scoops and serve.
Shrimp, goat cheese and a lime juice dressing narrow the wine choices to a tart, assertive white. That's Sauvignon Blanc territory, preferably one from California.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.