- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 2 poblanos, seeded and chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- Freshly ground pepper
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 corn tortillas, cut into 1-inch strips
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons cilantro leaves, plus more for garnish
- 1 pound shredded roasted meat or poultry, such as pork or chicken
- Kernels cut from 2 ears of corn
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Tortilla chips, for garnish
How to make this recipe
In a large pot, heat the oil. Add the onion, poblanos, garlic and cumin and season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Add the broth and tortilla strips, cover and bring to a boil. Simmer over moderately low heat for 5 minutes. Add 1/4 cup of the cilantro and, using an immersion blender, puree the soup until smooth. Add the meat and fresh corn and simmer for 5 minutes.
In a mini food processor, puree the sour cream with the remaining 2 tablespoons of cilantro. Ladle the soup into shallow bowls and garnish with the cilantro crema, cilantro leaves and tortilla chips.