- 6 tablespoons butter
- 6 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground sage
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
- 1 pound fresh or frozen meat-filled tortellini
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
How to make this recipe
- In a medium frying pan, melt the butter over low heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring occasionally and mashing the garlic with the back of a wooden spoon, until it is soft and golden, 10 to 12 minutes. Stir in the sage, salt, and pepper.
- In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the tortellini until just done, about 4 minutes for fresh and 12 minutes for frozen. Drain the pasta and return to the pot.
- Add the butter and parsley and toss over low heat until the pasta is thoroughly coated with the butter, about 1 minute.
o Ravioli with Garlic Sage Butter Sauce Feel free to use ravioli, or any other small stuffed pasta, instead of the tortellini.
o Cheese Tortellini with Garlic Sage Butter Sauce If you prefer another stuffing, such as cheese or mushroom, by all means try it.
o Tortellini with Garlic and Fresh-Sage Butter Sauce Substitute 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh sage for the dried. Saute until crisp but not brown, about 1 minute.
Barbera is one of the most food-friendly Italian red wines, and it works beautifully here with the assertive sage and garlic.