- 2 1/4 cups milk
- Strips of zest from 1/2 orange
- Strips of zest from 1/2 lemon
- 2/3 cup Arborio rice
- Unsalted butter and plain dry bread crumbs, for the baking dish
- 1 1/3 cups fresh ricotta cheese (about 10 1/2 ounces)
- 3 large whole eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons Sambuca
- 2 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a medium heavy saucepan, combine the milk with 1 2/3 cups of water and the strips of orange and lemon zest. Bring to a boil over moderate heat. Stir in the rice and simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 30 minutes. Let cool and remove the citrus zests.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 375°. Generously butter a 12-by-8-inch glass baking dish and coat it with bread crumbs.
- In a medium bowl, gently whisk together all of the remaining ingredients except the confectioners' sugar. Stir in the cooled rice mixture and transfer to the prepared baking dish; spread it evenly. Bake for 45 minutes, or until golden brown and set. Let cool for 1 hour. Dust the cake lightly with confectioners
This luscious cake calls for a dessert wine, such as a not-too-sweet Vin Santo. Look for Castello di Ama or Antinori.