Tomatoes with Pesto Oil
- SERVINGS: 8
Ripe tomatoes drizzled with fragrant basil oil and topped with crisp Parmesan-accented bread crumbs make a simple and refreshing first course.
Fast Hors d'Oeuvres
- 1/2 cup light olive oil
- 3/4 cup coarse stale bread crumbs
- 1 1/2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/3 cup packed basil leaves
- 1 pound medium tomatoes, sliced crosswise 1/3 inch thick
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a medium skillet. Add the bread crumbs and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until crisp and deep golden, about 5 minutes. Immediately transfer the bread crumbs to a plate and stir in the cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a blender or mini processor, puree the basil with the remaining 7 tablespoons of olive oil and a pinch of salt until smooth.
- Arrange the tomatoes on a platter or 8 plates. Drizzle the pesto oil over and around the tomatoes and sprinkle them with the Parmesan crumbs.
Make AheadThe Parmesan crumbs and pesto oil can be refrigerated separately for up to 1 day. Let return to room temperature before serving.