- 4 large tomatoes (3 pounds)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Two 1/2-inch-thick slices white bread, crusts removed and bread torn into bite-size pieces
- 3 piquillo peppers, minced
- 1 cup drained chickpeas, coarsely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- Preheat the oven to 325°. Slice off the top fourth of each tomato and scoop out the seeds and flesh. Finely chop and reserve 1/4 cup of the flesh. Discard the remaining flesh.
- Arrange the tomatoes on a baking sheet and rub them all over with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Roast for about 35 minutes, until the tomatoes are tender but still hold their shape. Let the tomatoes cool, then pour out the juices in the tomatoes.
- Increase the oven temperature to 425°. In a food processor, pulse the bread until coarse crumbs form. In a medium bowl, mix the reserved tomato flesh with the bread crumbs, piquillo peppers, chickpeas, garlic and the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Gently fold in half of the goat cheese. Stuff the chickpea filling into the tomatoes and sprinkle the remaining goat cheese on top. Bake for about 15 minutes, until the stuffing is hot and golden brown. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.