- 1 tablespoon virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped (1 cup)
- 2 large garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- 1 sprig of oregano
- 2 pounds of ripe tomatoes, cut into 2-inch chunks (5 cups)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons Basil Oil
How to make this recipe
- Heat the olive oil in a large heavy saucepan. Add the onion, garlic, thyme and oregano and cook over moderate heat for 5 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, salt, pepper and 1 1/4 cups of water and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes. Pass the soup through the fine disk of a food mill.
- Rewarm the soup. Add the butter a little at a time, stirring between additions. Pour the soup into 4 soup plates or bowls and drizzle 1 tablespoon of the Basil Oil over each serving.
The tomato soup can be prepared through Step 1 and refrigerated overnight.
Tangy tomato pairs will with a chilled glass of a very dry Fino Sherry.