- 3 large shallots (1/2 pound), sliced crosswise 1/4 inch thick and separated into rings, plus 1 small shallot, minced
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup canola oil
- 3 1/2 pounds assorted ripe tomatoes, sliced, or halved if cherry
- Small basil leaves, for garnishing
How to make this recipe
In a small bowl, combine the minced shallot with the vinegar and let stand for at least 5 minutes. Whisk in the olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, heat the canola oil until shimmering. Add half of the sliced shallots and cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the shallots to paper towels to drain and season with salt. Repeat with the remaining sliced shallots.
Spread the tomatoes on a large platter, season with salt and pepper and drizzle with the vinaigrette. Scatter the fried shallots and basil leaves over the tomatoes and serve.
The fried shallots can be kept at room temperature for 2 hours. Salt them just before using.