Tomato, Radicchio and Grilled-Peach Salad with Basil Oil
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
Portland, Oregon, chef Gabriel Rucker (an F&W Best New Chef 2007) swears by the heirloom tomatoes from Viridian Farms (viridianfarms.com). Here, Rucker arranges the tomatoes under a salad of sweet grilled peaches with radicchio and tangy feta cheese.
- 1 1/2 cups lightly packed basil leaves
- 1/4 cup plus 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 small peaches, peeled and cut into 2-inch wedges
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 small head of radicchio, cored and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 large tomatoes, thickly sliced
- In a saucepan of boiling salted water, blanch the basil until just wilted. Drain the basil, run under cold water, then squeeze dry; transfer to a blender. Add 1/4 cup of the oil and puree; season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat a grill pan. Toss the peaches with 1/2 tablespoon of the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill over high heat, turning once, until the peaches are lightly browned, 3 minutes; let cool. Transfer the peaches to a bowl. Add the lemon juice and the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil and toss. Add the radicchio, red onion and feta, season with salt and pepper and toss.
- Arrange the tomatoes on a platter and mound the peach-and-radicchio salad on top. Drizzle the salad with the basil oil and serve immediately.