- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 teaspoon sweet smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon harissa
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- One 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 6 large eggs
- Pitas or crusty bread, for serving
How to make this recipe
In a large skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the onion and bell pepper, season with salt and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 7 minutes. Stir in the paprika and coriander and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in the <em>harissa</em> and tomato paste and cook over low heat for 3 minutes. Add the tomatoes and their juices and simmer over low heat until the sauce has thickened, about 20 minutes. Stir in the parsley and cilantro and season with salt.
Raise the heat to moderate. One by one, break the eggs into a cup and add them to the simmering sauce. Poach the eggs until the whites are firm but the yolks are still runny, about 5 minutes. Season the eggs with salt. Transfer the eggs to bowls along with some of the sauce. Serve with warmed pitas or crusty bread.
The recipe can be prepared through Step 1 and refrigerated for up to 3 days. Reheat before proceeding.