- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 teaspoon sweet smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon harissa
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- One 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 6 large eggs
- Pitas or crusty bread, for serving
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the onion and bell pepper, season with salt and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 7 minutes. Stir in the paprika and coriander and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in the harissa and tomato paste and cook over low heat for 3 minutes. Add the tomatoes and their juices and simmer over low heat until the sauce has thickened, about 20 minutes. Stir in the parsley and cilantro and season with salt.
- Raise the heat to moderate. One by one, break the eggs into a cup and add them to the simmering sauce. Poach the eggs until the whites are firm but the yolks are still runny, about 5 minutes. Season the eggs with salt. Transfer the eggs to bowls along with some of the sauce. Serve with warmed pitas or crusty bread.
The recipe can be prepared through Step 1 and refrigerated for up to 3 days. Reheat before proceeding.