Tomato, Onion and Green Pepper Salad with Shiso
- TOTAL TIME: 20 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
Although this blend of raw tomatoes, paper-thin onion and mild green peppers seems Italian, it’s a common mix for Japanese farm families. Instead of the usual squirt of mayonnaise, author Nancy Singleton Hachisu drizzles on an Asian vinaigrette.
- 1 pound cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 pound small mild green peppers, such as Italian frying peppers, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
- 1/2 small onion, very thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, preferably cold-pressed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons organic soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons brown rice vinegar
- 6 shiso leaves, thinly sliced
- In a large bowl, gently toss the tomatoes, peppers and onion. Drizzle with the oil, soy sauce and vinegar. Scatter the shiso on top and serve right away.