Tomato Mozzarella Pizza
- SERVINGS: Makes two 10-inch pizzas
As an easy way to add variety to her hors d'oeuvre course, Giada De Laurentiis uses at least two other pizza toppings besides the classic one here, like one with rosemary and sea salt and another with olive tapenade. If you have two pizza stones, or one large one, you can bake two pizzas at a time.
- Flour, for dusting and rolling
- One 14-ounce can peeled Italian plum tomatoes, drained
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely shredded mozzarella (6 ounces)
- Two 1/2-pound balls of Pizza Dough or thawed frozen pizza or bread dough
- Set a pizza stone or heavy baking sheet in the bottom third of the oven. Preheat the oven to 550°, allowing at least 30 minutes for the stone to heat.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll 1 ball of dough into a 6-inch round. Turn the edges of the dough up slightly to form a lip, then stretch the dough out to a 10-inch round. Transfer the dough to a lightly floured pizza peel or upside-down baking sheet.
- In a food processor, pulse the tomatoes with the basil, garlic and olive oil until finely chopped. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread half of the tomato sauce on the pizza dough to within 1/2 inch of the rim. Slide the pizza onto the hot stone and bake for 5 minutes, or until the sauce is slightly dry and the crust is lightly golden. Remove the pizza from the oven, scatter half of the mozzarella over the top and return to the oven. Bake for 4 minutes longer, or until the cheese is bubbling and the crust is golden and crisp. Let the pizza rest for 5 minutes before cutting into wedges or squares. Repeat with the remaining dough, sauce and cheese to make the second pizza.
A refreshing sparkling wine will balance the saltiness in the pizza toppings. Turn to a sleek Italian Prosecco. Or try a nonsparkling, high-acid aromatic white with savory flavors.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.