© Danielle Tsi
- SERVINGS: 4
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 pound shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded, caps thinly sliced
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 1/2 cups water
- 2 large tomatoes—peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup light miso paste (shiro)
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 3/4 pound soft tofu, cut into 1-inch dice
- 2 large scallions, thinly sliced
- 4 small to medium radishes, thinly sliced
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the mushrooms and garlic and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Cover and cook over low heat, stirring a few times, until the mushrooms are tender, about 6 minutes. Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Pour in the water, stir well and bring to a boil. Add the tomatoes, cover and simmer over low heat for 5 minutes. Whisk in the miso and soy sauce and return to a simmer. Add the tofu and simmer for 2 minutes. Ladle into bowls, garnish with the scallions and radishes and serve.
Notes One Serving Calories 203 kcal, Total Fat 7.1 gm, Saturated Fat 0.6 gm, Protein 8.2 gm, Carbohydrates 28 gm.