- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 pound shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded, caps thinly sliced
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 1/2 cups water
- 2 large tomatoes—peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup light miso paste (shiro)
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 3/4 pound soft tofu, cut into 1-inch dice
- 2 large scallions, thinly sliced
- 4 small to medium radishes, thinly sliced
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the mushrooms and garlic and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Cover and cook over low heat, stirring a few times, until the mushrooms are tender, about 6 minutes. Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Pour in the water, stir well and bring to a boil. Add the tomatoes, cover and simmer over low heat for 5 minutes. Whisk in the miso and soy sauce and return to a simmer. Add the tofu and simmer for 2 minutes. Ladle into bowls, garnish with the scallions and radishes and serve.
One Serving Calories 203 kcal, Total Fat 7.1 gm, Saturated Fat 0.6 gm, Protein 8.2 gm, Carbohydrates 28 gm.