- SERVINGS: MAKES ABOUT 1 2/3 CUPS
This sweet, spice-packed condiment can be brushed on pork or chicken during grilling or roasting.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 1/2 pounds fresh plum tomatoes—peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped—or 2 cups drained canned Italian tomatoes, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup (packed) light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup honey
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Melt the butter in a heavy medium saucepan. Add the ginger and garlic and cook over moderately high heat, stirring frequently, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the vinegar and cinnamon stick and cook until the liquid is reduced to a glaze, about 1 minute. Stir in the tomatoes, brown sugar, cumin, cloves, and cayenne. Reduce the heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, until the liquid is completely evaporated, about 1 1/2 hours. Stir in the honey and season with salt and pepper. Discard the cinnamon stick and serve the jam at room temperature.
Make Ahead The tomato jam can be refrigerated for up to 4 days.