- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 1/2 pounds fresh plum tomatoes—peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped—or 2 cups drained canned Italian tomatoes, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup (packed) light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup honey
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
How to make this recipe
Melt the butter in a heavy medium saucepan. Add the ginger and garlic and cook over moderately high heat, stirring frequently, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the vinegar and cinnamon stick and cook until the liquid is reduced to a glaze, about 1 minute. Stir in the tomatoes, brown sugar, cumin, cloves, and cayenne. Reduce the heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, until the liquid is completely evaporated, about 1 1/2 hours. Stir in the honey and season with salt and pepper. Discard the cinnamon stick and serve the jam at room temperature.
The tomato jam can be refrigerated for up to 4 days.