© Cedric Angeles
- ACTIVE: 15 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: makes 1 1/2 cups
- 1 quart water
- 2 pounds plum tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- In a large saucepan, combine all of the ingredients except the salt and bring to a boil. Simmer over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until the compote has thickened and is reduced to 1 1/2 cups, about 1 hour and 15 minutes. Let cool to room temperature and season with salt. Transfer to a jar and refrigerate.
Make Ahead The compote can be refrigerated for up to 5 days. Serve With Lamb Pita Pockets.