- ACTIVE: 25 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 40 MIN plus overnight mellowing
- SERVINGS: makes about 2 1/2 cups
This Indian-style condiment provides the sweetness of traditional cranberry sauce, along with less conventional spice from fennel seeds, ginger and jalapeño.
Slideshow: Great Condiment Recipes
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 2 teaspoons brown mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 1/2 pounds tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons finely julienned peeled fresh ginger
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
- Cayenne pepper
- In a saucepan, toast the fennel, mustard and cumin seeds over moderate heat until fragrant, 1 minute. Transfer to a plate; let cool.
- In the same saucepan, cook the tomatoes with the granulated and brown sugars over moderate heat, stirring, until the sugars dissolve. Add the garlic, ginger and toasted seeds and simmer over moderate heat, stirring, until the chutney is thick and reduced to 2 1/2 cups, 15 minutes. Stir in the jalapeño; transfer to a bowl to cool. Season with salt and cayenne. Refrigerate overnight before serving at room temperature.