- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 red Thai chiles, minced
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 6 medium tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 English cucumber, halved lengthwise, seeded and finely diced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped basil
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- In a large skillet, heat the vegetable oil. Add the garlic, chiles and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, over moderate heat until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and curry powder and simmer until the tomato liquid starts to thicken, about 10 minutes. Add the honey and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the cucumber and simmer until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat and season the chutney with salt and pepper. Let cool slightly. Stir in the basil, sprinkle with the sesame seeds and serve.
The chutney can be refrigerated overnight.