- TOTAL TIME: 20 MIN
- SERVINGS: Makes 1 1/4 cups
Jaew mak len is a condiment akin to a speedy and spicy tomato jam that pairs perfectly with eggs, such as the Lao Omelet with Dill, Scallion and Thai Chile. It would also be an excellent addition to a grilled cheese sandwich.
- 3 small shallots
- 3 large garlic cloves
- 1 or 2 red Thai chiles
- 3 scallions—2 cut into 1-inch pieces, 1 coarsely chopped
- 3 plum tomatoes—halved, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Heat a medium cast-iron skillet. Add the shallots, garlic and chiles and cook over moderate heat for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the scallion pieces and cook, stirring occasionally, until everything is charred in spots, about 3 minutes longer. Transfer the contents of the skillet to a large mortar and pound to a coarse paste. Add the chopped tomatoes and pound until incorporated. Stir in the chopped scallion and cilantro and season with salt.